Saturday, November 15, 2014

On photography and blogging

So suddenly it's the middle of November and I haven't published a blog post since the middle of January. How did that happen?

Part of what's been holding me back has been photo taking. I mean, what's a sewing blog without pictures of what you're sewing? But I have NEVER been a photographer. Ask my mother in law. I never send pictures of the kids. Not because we don't love her. She's a great mother in law and grandmother. Just because I just don't take any. I'm more of an "enjoy the moment" person not one to  constantly snap pictures. I'm the mother who goes outside to play in the leaves and the snow with the kids but forgets to take pictures of them playing outside. So of course there is no visual evidence that my bigger kids ever played outside in the snow. Now that my big girls are tweens they have their own digital cameras and started taking pictures. ALL THE TIME. It's a bit annoying but also inspiring. It's great to finally have pictures of family outings and even just every day life. We're not talking super high quality photos here, just every day snapshots. And they're nice even though not  professional.

So I started snapping pictures here and there using my new Samsung phone. Because if I have to go get my camera it's NOT going to happen. And some of the pictures were actually not bad. They weren't sewing pictures, though. Then Sewvember came along and my Instagram feed was inundated with lots of fun sewing pictures. I jumped in with my own photos on day 4 or 5 and have been having so much fun since. I've realized that my pictures don't have to be perfect; even though so many of the sewing blogs have such stunning, professional photography that it really blows my mind. So I've invested in a little tripod with bendy legs (I can attach it to a chair, my deck railing etc...) that grips my phone and a $5 Bluetooth remote for my phone and now I can actually take a decent self portrait that isn't in a mirror. Yay!

Here was my first try:
It has a snazzy little frame I added from my phone's photo program and I did the background blurry thing on there too (I don't know any photographer terms lol) It's not the perfect angle but I'll get there soon I hope.

Oh and the top I'm wearing in the photo. That's one of the 52 unblogged garments I have sewn since January 19 when I last blogged. Yup 52. I've been a busy, busy sewist this year! No, I'm not going to go backwards and blog them all but I'll try to be a better blogger from now on.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment