Monday, November 17, 2014

Sewing with a plan, but not "SWAP"

So when the cool fall weather hit for good I realized that my everyday wardrobe was sorely lacking. I have bought very little clothing since I started sewing again about a year ago. I'm not on the official RTW Fast, (though, I am seriously thinking about joining for 2015!) I just really enjoy wearing my own handmade clothing. They fit well and therefore look much better on me and are more comfortable. I also get to sew exactly the colors and styles I like. My necklines, sleeve lengths, skirt lengths etc... can be exactly where I want them to be without being frumpy. And fabric shopping is WAY more fun than clothing shopping.

 Over the spring and summer I had sewn a lot of dressier clothing which I definitely have a use for. Even though I am a SAHM/WAHM Mom I dress up every Friday night and Saturday for Shabbat. In addition the Jewish calendar is FULL of holidays. The Autumn alone has Rosh Hashana (2 days), Yom Kippur and Sukkot (9 days!). But I cannot live in heels, fancy dresses and pearls every day (guess I wouldn't have been a good 50s housewife lol). So I sat down in the last week of October and sketched up this:

Two "mini wardrobes". Each consists of a skirt, two tops and a jacket or cardigan. The bottom right 4 garments have all already been sewn up and worn more than once.

Here's a shot of the skirt I posted on Instagram while I was sewing it:

I LOVE the fabric! It's this Neoprene from Emma One Sock.

I took a week long break from the "planned" sewing to sew a skirt for my daughter but last week was back to the plan and I have already fit the pattern for the jacket at the top. It is the Style Arc Sharon Sweat Top, here. (Yes, I am still loving Style Arc patterns!) The "muslin" actually ended up semi-wearable (and by that, I mean waiting for the school bus or working in the kitchen) and with a few pattern alterations the Sharon Sweat Top is going to be a great wardrobe staple for me. I may end up with with another one or two this season if other patterns don't call to me first. So many patterns... so little time...

2 comments:

  1. That is a lovely plan with some really fine patterns. I have the Sharon Sweat too and want to sew it up when our cooler weather comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just posted a review of the Sharon Sweat today :)

    ReplyDelete