Sunday, January 19, 2014

Creative Cate Cabled Sweater Dress

I finished the Creative Cate dress I blogged about last here and it's just as beautiful as I imagined it would be (maybe more)!


 
The fabric is slightly sheer (you can see it in some of the pictures) because it is somewhat of a loose knit but I didn't bother lining it since I'm going to be wearing the dress with a layering shell and half slip anyways.
 
You can see in this photo at the bottom left that the dress is
somewhat sheer. I should have put a slip on Freeda too! 
I hemmed the dress with a coverstitch hem first but wasn't happy with the look. So I cut it off and created a band cut from one of the cables going vertically. I really like the finished look it gives to the dress. It also added back the inch of length which I removed when I cut off the hem. (I tried to rip it out first but  the loosely knit fabric was so wavy after ripping the coverstitch that it just needed to be cut off.)
 
 
 
The belt is a TJ Maxx find as are these shoes:
 
The shoes were very hard to photograph since they are silver. I did my best.
 
The necklace is one I've had for a while. I think it works perfectly with this dress. I'm using a lightweight rayon lycra knit layering shell in gray underneath. I tucked in the sleeves for photography purposes since they looked silly just hanging there. Some days I wish Freeda had arms lol.
 
I "hemmed" the sleeves with Design Plus ultra soft double sided fusible. This stabilized the sleeve hem and hemmed it in one. I had planned to do some invisible handstitching to reinforce but once I was done fusing I realized that it wasn't necessary. The dress is going to be handwashed and never see the inside of a dryer so the fusible web is not going anywhere.
 
 
 
 
As usual the dress fits me better than Freeda. I removed some padding from her in an effort to get her to match my body better but I just can't get her to be my exact double no matter how hard I try. One day I'll get a tripod and a better camera and then we can have some pictures of me wearing my creations...
Who am I kidding photography is not my hobby, SEWING is! The best I can offer for the near future is some mirror selfies or maybe once in a while pictures taken by my 11 year old... If she's willing...

1 comment:

  1. That is a gorgeous dress and the fabric is divine. Try that selfie - would love to see it on. Great job.

    ReplyDelete