Monday, December 16, 2013

Christine Jonson 1025- Basewear 2- Taper skirt



This pattern had been marinating in my stash for a bit. OK years. I don't even know how many. But I'm happy it was there when I needed a quick skirt and didn't have the patience to draft from scratch. (my body has changed a bit since 2007 when I last worked on my basic knit skirt block... that was two babies ago!)
Why I didn't have the patience will be in the next post. I was in the midst of working on my Vogue 8815 muslins (yes I mean muslins plural). I didn't muslin this pattern (no patience for more muslins) but measured the flat pattern and cut it a smidge big. It worked out great.

I cut size 18 but added 8-1/4" in length to bring the finished skirt to 4" below my knee which is the length I wear my "shorter" skirts. I used black stretch knit faux leather from Fabric.com ($6.98 a yard if I recall correctly). I wish I had bought more of it because of course it's all gone now and I only bought a yard and a half. I ended up taking in the side seams about 3/8" each when I tried it on prior to putting in the elastic waist. I topstiched the elastic and hemmed it with my coverstitch machine (babylock). Total time dedicated to this skirt: less than two hours from start to finish. Including going up to the attic to find the pattern (I did mention I've had this one around for a while). I wore it to a Chanukah party that evening and was complemented on it numerous times. It was so much fun to reply: "Oh this thing, I just whipped it up this afternoon"

Funny thing that happened while I was sewing this one. I was lazy with my marking because I was in a rush. I sewed the side seams, pressed them, and was about to try it on when I had a panicky moment when I couldn't figure out which way was up! The skirt is tapered from the hip to the hem so it was hard to tell the hip curve on top from the taper at the bottom. Luckily I thought of comparing it to the pattern and the curves are different so It wasn't too hard to make out the top from the bottom. I marked it THEN of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment